Grooming is an important part of pet care. Depending on the breed, age,and health of your pet, grooming may even need to be a part of you and your pet’s daily routine. Many breeds require less grooming than this, but regular grooming always helps to keep your pet healthy and comfortable. Some breeds don't shed their hair effectively (eg. Poodles) and require grooming by a professional every 6-8 weeks. Long haired cats can particularly benefit from regular grooming as it helps prevent the formation of knots on the skin and hairballs in the stomach.
Grooming at Home
We encourage you to also engage in regular grooming with your pet at home. There are numerous benefits of regular grooming, for example:
- Decreased chance of skin problems
- Optimal skin cleanliness and comfort for you and your pet
- Improved monitoring of health issues like cuts, heat, swelling, lameness, or changes in temperament.
- Enhanced behavioural routines with obedient submission during grooming periods
- Closer bonding with your pet through regular contact
The use of appropriate shampoo and conditioner is also important when grooming your pet at home. We do not recommend using human shampoo or conditioner on pet. Use of inappropriate skin product may cause dryness of your pet's coat and increase chances of skin problems.
Talk to our friendly staff if you have any questions about grooming your pet at home.