Orthopaedic surgery encompasses any surgery that is related to bones or joints. It includes procedures such as fracture repairs, ligament repairs and spinal surgery to name a few.
Our veterinarians have strong interests in surgery. Dr Agnes Chiu has completed the surgical internship with specialist surgeon Dr Tony Black at the Veterinary Specialist Centre. Both Dr Chiu and Dr Libby Duhs have acquired their Membership of Australian College of Veterinary Scientists in Small Animal Surgery by examination.
Our veterinarians’ high level of expertise and our practice’s fully equipped surgical suite allows us to perform certain orthopaedic surgical procedures that your pet may require. These may include:
- Cranial cruciate ligament repair
- Tibial Tuberosity Advancement (TTA)*
- Patellar luxation repair
- Fracture (broken bone) repair
- Amputations for severe injuries or bone cancer cases
* TTA - This surgery involves changing the angle of the knee joint, so that the shearing movement of the tibia is eliminated.
Complicated orthopaedic cases, such as total hip replacement, will need to be referred to a specialist orthopaedic surgeon. Our veterinarians will assess each case individually and provide the best advice for you and your pet.